Tuesday, October 27, 2009

#28 and #29 In Progress

Two of the items on my 101/1001 List involve volunteer work. #28 is to volunteer at least every other month and #29 is to participate in National Make a Difference Day each year. So far, I have twice volunteered to help pack supplies for World Vision and helped pass out backpacks for the Denver Bar Association's School Supply Drive.

This past Saturday was Make a Difference Day, and Amanda and I volunteered at Interfaith Hospitality Network of Denver, which provides shelter, meals and assistance for the homeless. We, along with about 20 other volunteers, worked on making a nice backyard for the facility. We painted the fence, refinished the picnic table and, the biggest task, shoveled and sifted our way through a mountain of dirt to provide a base for the grass that will be planted in the Spring. A couple of trees and some flowers were also planted. Here's the backyard when we arrived:


And here's what it looked like at the end of the day:


I will admit that this project took me out of my comfort zone. I am not a girl who likes to get dirty and I was pretty miserable most of the time. But, after a long, hot shower, I was glad I did it.

2 comments:

  1. For those of you who have not seen Rhonda dirty, this was classic. We were literally covered from head to toe with a layer of dirt. Our ears and nose did not fare much better. That being said, there really is something to getting out there and knowing you are making a difference for people who have very little. A backyard in this neighborhood is quite rare and now they will have a safe place to go.

    At one point, she did say I owe her a manicure, she had to be reminded I broke a nail just days before putting gas in her car after she ran out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you Rhonda. You are a better person than I am!

    ReplyDelete