Monday, September 28, 2009

#3 Halfway There

As part of my 101/1,001 List, I wanted to tackle some sort of "best of" book list, but wanted to read modern books, rather than old classics. I found Entertainment Weekly's New Classics list, which covers 1983-2008. I know that EW is not exactly a high-ranking authority on literature, but the list met my requirements, so I decided to go with it. I had already read 14 of the books on the list and decided to read 10 more for my 101/1,001 List. I've completed 5 of them, so I thought I would do a review of what I've read so far.

#6 Mystic River. The movie was great and I had enjoyed Dennis Lehane's other books, but for some reason had never read this one. Wow. It blew me away! I highly recommend it.

#28 Naked. David Sedaris cracks me up and this book was no exception. Hilarious!

#72 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Meh, it was ok. I don't get all the hype about this one.

#87 The Ruins. This book scared the crap out of me. It was very intense and very good.

#90 Comfort Me With Apples. My favorite of the five. Ruth Reichl's account of her journey from cook at a small restaurant in Berkeley to restaurant critic at the New York Times. Along the way, she indulges in three great pleasures...food, travel and men. Are you starting to see why I LOVED this book? I can't say enough great things about it. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment