Friday, September 24, 2010

Quick Weekend in Boston

I recently spent a weekend in Boston, which is now on my short list of favorite cities I've visited. The purpose of the trip was to see a baseball game at Fenway Park (more on that later), and since I've been to Boston 3 previous times and seen most of the touristy things, I made it a quick trip. I also decided to make it a solo trip. Although I've been lucky enough to travel with/visit some of my favorite people this year, I was in the mood to go this one alone.

When I arrived mid-afternoon on Friday, it was drizzling, which nixed my plans for a Duck Tour, so I just wandered around near my hotel for a little while. This turned out to be a good thing, because it enabled me to arrive at my intended dinner destination right after they opened. This was good because within 20 minutes, the line to get into the restaurant was down the block. Lucky for me, I snagged the last available table before the line started to form.

Quite a few reliable sources told me that I absolutely had to go to Giacomo's in the North End if I wanted good Italian food. Said sources were spot-on. I had the frutti de mare, and it was like heaven on a plate! The restaurant is very tiny, so you get to know your neighbors pretty quickly. I sat next to two women from Long Beach, CA, Chris and Janine, who were also visiting for the weekend. Within 15 minutes, we were sharing a bottle of wine over stories of our travels. After dinner, we went to Mike's Pastry for dessert. I think just about every other person in Boston was there, and with good reason...their desserts are unbelievable! Best cannoli I've ever had! After dessert, we decided it was time for more drinks and hit the Bell in Hand pub. Me, Chris and Janine:

On Saturday morning, I continued Ballparkapalooza 2010, with a tour of Fenway Park. I hate to say this, but compared to my tours of Wrigley and Petco this summer, the tour of Fenway sucked. Basically, they just took us to 4 different seating areas and told us some history of the park. No press box, no private suite, no clubhouse, no dug out...WTF? I mean, I got to stand in the on-deck circle at Wrigley Field, FFS! But, it was still awesome just to be there.

 Me and the Green Monster. Sorry I'm so squinty. The sun was right in my eyes.

 This is Mike. He and his friends came down from Canada for the Red Sox' games with the Toronto Blue Jays that weekend. We became camera buddies. Does this sound familiar?
After the tour, I went to the Aquarium/Harbor area to try, once again, to do the Duck Tour. Unfortunately, they were sold out until 5:00, which was too late because I wanted to be back at Fenway around 6:00. So, I went to the Aquarium instead.


The man with the coolest job in the world.

After the aquarium, it was back to Fenway for the game, and I came home on Sunday. Although it was such a short trip, I had a great time in Boston. It's a beautiful city and the people are so friendly!


If it weren't for the brutal winters, I could totally see living there. The hot boys with their East Coast attitude and Boston accent are another thing that the city has going for it! I could listen to that accent all day, I tell ya!

1 comment: