Tuesday, April 27, 2010

#76 In Progress (12/33)

I am seriously behind on making one new recipe a month, so I made a bunch in one meal. The first is the Quinoa and Black Bean Salad from Whole Foods. If you've ever tried this, you know it is delicious! I love this salad and found the recipe online. Here it is:

1 1/2 cups quinoa*
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 can corn (or 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen)
1 red bell pepper
6 scallions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil (I used about half that)

Put quinoa into a pot with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff it a bit with a fork now and then to keep it from sticking.

While quinoa is cooking, toss the beans, vinegar, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and cilantro in a large bowl. In another small bowl, whisk the lime juice, salt and cumin and pour in the oil while whisking. When quinoa is done cooking, toss it with the beans and vegetables. Then, drizzle the lime mixture over quinoa and vegetables and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature. (It was better the next day when all the flavors had a chance to combine and be absorbed.)

*Look for quinoa that has already been washed, otherwise you will have to rinse it in a fine sieve under cold water.

The finished product is healthful, beautiful and so yummy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks gooood, but you never told me how this came out. I told Rick that he has no option and just needs to "suck it up" and eat it because it's good for you.

    I tell you your brother is getting picky in his old age.

    BTW do you like Wheatberries?

    ReplyDelete