Tuesday, April 27, 2010

#76 In Progress (14/33)

Tricia and I took a vegetarian cooking class in which the class made five different recipes. They were all delicious, but this was the hands-down favorite! It is so good that you will not miss the meat at all. I cut this recipe in half and it was just the right amount for 4 full-sized sandwiches instead of sliders.

Seitan Sausage Sliders with Cheese and Marinara

2 8 oz. packages seitan, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil, divided use
2 cups marinara sauce (from the previous recipe)
20 slider rolls
10 slices cheese (I used mozzarella)

Seasoning Mix:

1 t fennel seeds
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t celery seed
1/4 t each: basil, thyme and oregano

Combine spices in a spice mill and process until finely ground.

Toss chopped seitan with ground Seasoning Mix and 2 T olive oil. Saute in 2 T olive oil until browned. Add marinara and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place sausage mixture on rolls and top with 1/2 slice of cheese. Broil to melt cheese.

I was so excited to eat that I forgot to take a picture until after I had taken a couple of bites of the sandwich. Also, the picture is blurry and Blogger won't let me rotate it the right way...sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Can you come to NY and cook for me please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you open up your own restaurant, I plan to eat there 16 times a day. Seriously, you can cook and this was no exception.

    ReplyDelete